So it has been a while since I have had a full week at home to cook a great meal! I spent a full week at home about two weeks ago and had fun getting some new recipes cooked! We are trying to eat very healthy so you will see a trend in that. Casseroles can often be fattening are heavy and high in calories, but this one was so refreshing and used some of our favorite ingredients. If you cannot find Gruyere cheese, Swiss cheese is a good replacement for it and has a similar taste. This was absolutely amazing and made for great leftovers!
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ½ cup flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ¼ cup shredded Gruyere cheese (any kind will work)
- 3 cups fresh broccoli florets
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sauce: Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish Bring the chicken broth and ½ cup milk to a low boil in a saucepan. Whisk the other ½ cup milk with the poultry seasoning and flour; add the mixture to the boiling liquid and whisk until a smooth creamy sauce forms. Do not add to quickly because then it may form chunks.
- Assembly: In a large bowl, mix the sauce from step one, one cup water, and quinoa, and stir to combine. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish. Dice the chicken and lay the chicken breasts cubes over the top of the quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with the seasoning if you would like. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Broccoli: While the casserole is in the oven, place the broccoli in boiling water for 1 minute until it turns bright green and then run under cold water to blanch it. Set aside.
- Bake: Remove the casserole from the oven, check the mixture by stirring it around in the pan, and if needed, bake for an additional 10-15 minutes to get the right consistency. When the quinoa and chicken are cooked and the sauce is thickened, add the broccoli and a little bit of water (up to one cup) until the consistency is creamy and smooth and you can stir it up easily in the pan. The amount of water will depend on how thick the sauce is. At times I do not add any. Top with the cheese and bake for 5 minutes, or just long enough to melt the cheese.here.