Friday, January 3, 2014

Whole Wheat Ravioli from Scratch...

So I got a pasta maker a while back and had used it a couple of times, but it had been quite some time since I had used it.  I was feeling inspired to make ravioli after I looked into the pantry and saw we didn't have any pasta.  We had planned on making stuffed shells but I just didn't feel like leaving the house to get pasta, so it was an easier decision to make it!  I am so glad I did because it turned out amazing.  So, here we go.

Start off by making the pasta dough...I love whole wheat flour so that's what I made!

Whole Wheat Pasta Dough
Ingredients
2 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp. sea salt
2 beaten eggs
1/3 cup water
1 tsp. olive oil
Directions:
First mix the flour and salt together in a bowl and make a little”pit”  in the middle.  Beat your eggs in a separate bowl, then pour them into the flour mixture. Add the water and olive oil. Stir well until the ingredients are mostly combined. Dump it out onto a floured surface and knead it a little bit to get the ingredients combined well.
The dough is very thick!
Once the dough was made, I put together the pasta roller and rolled out thin sheets of pasta.  The thickness will differ depending on how dry your dough is.  Play around with the thickness of your pasta roller and get the thinnest sheets possible to make the ravioli.

I have a ravioli tray to make the ravioli, so below you will see some pictures of the process. Start by placing one layer of the dough onto the ravioli tray.  We made ours with ground pork that was sauteed before hand and fresh mozzarella. You can really put whatever you want in the ravioli so be creative!
Place about a tablespoon of filling into the tray.
 Place another sheet of rolled out dough over the layers than press the edges together to make the ravioli to press out.
 Out come beautiful raviolis!
 After you are done making the ravioli (I made about 30 or so) it is time to cook them.  Boil the ravioli for about 5-8 minutes until fully cooked.
 We served them with Trader Joe's pasta sauce, and it was amazing!

Enjoy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment