Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas

I'm not a big fan of Mexican food because I don't eat too many cheeses, or beans, or rice really...so as you can imagine, that tends to limit my options to quesadillas  for the most part.  Recently, we went to a local Mexican restaurant in Buckhead  called Taxco (I would definitely recommend it!) and was feeling adventurous and ordered an enchilada.  I was so pleasantly surprised with it that I was determined to find a recipe I loved to make at home.  After much searching, I found the perfect recipe, and I must say it is one of my favorite recipes I have made.  I think the best part for me was the use of avocado because it is my latest obsession when it comes to food!  It is a great "comfort food" but surprisingly healthy!  With the use of a ton of avocados, switching the sour cream with Greek yogurt, and cutting the original recipes cheese measurement in half, while also using whole wheat tortillas made it full of flavor but quite healthy!  I promise you that there was plenty of cheese to go around, because the Greek yogurt and avocados make the sauce so creamy!  It makes 8 enchiladas so as you can imagine it is A LOT of food!  Hopefully the left overs are just as amazing as the meal was because we will be eating round two for lunch!  Enjoy!

Chicken and Avocado Enchiladas with Creamy Avocado Sauce
Ingredients
  • 1 cup chicken broth
  • 7 oz. salsa verde
  • 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
  • 2 avocados
  • 2 clove garlic
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 handful fresh cilantro
  • 1/2 lime, juice
  • 4 cups cooked shredded chicken
  • 2 avocados, diced
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • 1 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1 cups monterey jack cheese, shredded
  • 8 (7 inch) tortillas
Directions
  1. Puree the chicken broth, salsa verde, Greek yogurt, avocados, garlic, salt and pepper, cilantro and lime juice in a blender or food processor.
  2. Meanwhile, saute onion until soft.
  3. Mix the half of the sauce with the shredded chicken, diced avocado, red onion onions and half of the cheese.
  4. Coat the bottom of a large baking dish with some of the sauce, wrap the chicken and avocado mixture in the tortillas and place them in the dish.
  5. Top the enchiladas with the remaining sauce and cheese and bake in a preheated 350F oven until the cheese has melted and the sides are bubbling, about 20-30 minutes (I like my tortilla crispy on the ends so I tend to bake on the longer side).  

Original recipe adapted from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment