Monday, March 17, 2014

Roasted Red Pepper Soup

It has been quite some time since I have been home for a full week, so needless to say, I am excited to try some new recipes this week because I have a FULL week at home!!!  It is getting to be spring time but I love making soup, so I took advantage of a colder day today and found a new soup recipe to make.  I got an immersion blender off of our wedding registry during a wedding shower but had not found the opportunity to use it.  I was incredibly excited to put it to use for a very healthy soup recipe!  We have been trying to eat healthy since we are just 40 days away from the wedding, so hopefully you see a trend of helthy(ish) eating!  A change that I will make in the future now that I know the taste is adding shrimp or a mussel type seafood.  I think it will compliment the flavor very well! Enjoy!!!

Creamy Roasted Red Pepper and Cauliflower Soup with Goat Cheese

Ingredients
  • 4 red bell pepper, cut in half and seeds removed
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 4 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
  • 1 pinch red pepper flakes (do not overdo because a little goes a long way!)
  • 32 oz. chicken broth
  • 8 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Directions
  1. Place the red peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down, broil until the skins are blackened, about 10 minutes, place in a sealable container (i.e. Tupperware) and let 'steam' for 20 minutes before pinching the skins off and dicing.  If all of the skin does not come off do not fret!  It will still make a very smooth soup.
  2. Meanwhile, toss the cauliflower in the oil, place it in a single layer on a baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F oven until tender and caramelized, about 30 minutes.
  3. Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat and cook the onion until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  4. Add the garlic, thyme and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
  5. Add the roasted red peppers, cauliflower, broth, and goat cheese and simmer for 10 minutes before pureeing to the desired consistency with a hand blender.  I make it a very creamy consistency because I do not like chunky textures!
  6. Season with salt and pepper (I did not add any because the flavor was already great) and serve garnished with goat cheese.

Recipe and Image changed slightly from here

 

No comments:

Post a Comment