Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Honeymoon - Day 8 and 9 - Moorea

May 8, 2014

This was the first of two days in Moorea.  We had gone to bed a bit later than normal last night so we slept in until about 8:30 which was a nice change.  We got moving around 9 and headed up to breakfast at La Veranda.  After enjoying the breakfast on the boat deck, we headed back to our room where Joe napped for a bit because he had woken up not feeling well .  After getting ready, we took the tender to the shore and walked around Moorea for a bit before heading back.  We talked to some locals to get an idea of what to do on the island for the following day.  We had plans to go to the beach but didn’t have our bathing suits so we headed back to the boat to change.  It was the first day we had absolutely sunny amazing weather since we got on the boat, so we went to the pool to relax a bit and found a lot of our friends there.  We ended up staying by the pool until lunch, then grabbed lunch at the Grill.  Lunch was absolutely amazing and we had a stir-fry with scallops, shrimp, and calamari, as well as all of the usual things.  The theme for lunch was Polynesian so it was all amazing. After lunch we relaxed at the pool a bit longer and then around 2 we headed to the Marina where I took out a paddle board while all of the others took out kayaks and we paddled and kayaked for about an hour and a half.  We made it to shore and back but Joe and I swapped the kayak and paddle board at halfway so he paddle boarded back.  Once we got back we were sufficiently tired so it was nap time for Joe while I read for a bit then got ready for the evening.

Since it was quickly getting to our last days on the ship, we watched the sun set before heading in to see Joe play in the black jack tournament.  He was doing so well and was only in second by 20$, but had to push all in for the last hand.  Unfortunately, the last hand did not play in his favor and he lost it.  It was a fun game though, and we headed to dinner once we finished up.  Dinner was Polynesian night as well, so we started off with poison cru for our appetizer, then enjoyed lobster tail stuffed with shrimp and scallops and a beef tenderloin,  all served with veggies.  For desert Joe had a chocolate lava cake with ice cream and I had a creamy pineapple cake and they were both amazing.  After dinner, Joe still wasn’t feeling amazing so we decided to call it a night and laid down to read for a bit before heading to bed.  It had been a fun day enjoying the amazing sunshine, and we heard we had another beautiful day in store for the next day!
May 9, 2014

We were up bright and early today for our last dive of the trip!  We were spending the second day in Moorea and the weather forecast was wonderful!  We had an 8 AM dive so we woke up around 6:30 and lied around a bit.  We decided to order room service for breakfast the night before since the room service menu was amazing!  We got a knock promptly at 7 with our huge order!  We had gotten fruit, pastries, hot meats, eggs, smoked salmon, and so much more!  It was nice getting breakfast in bed and not even having to make it!  After breakfast, we got ready for the dive and headed to the marina.  This dive was the canyons where we would see sharks, turtles, etc, so we were incredibly excited!  We took the boat out and enjoyed our dive tremendously.  We saw sharks larger than in Bora Bora that were 10 to 15 feet swimming right by our heads.  We had such a great dive instructor that pointed out so many things like piranhas, eels, baby sharks, etc.  On our ride back from the dive we saw so many dolphins, the pack had to be about 20 or them diving and eating!  It was such a beautiful sight to see.  
Dolphin watching :)

Once we got back from the dive, we quickly changed and got dressed since I convinced Joe to do a hike with me.  We wanted to make the 10 o’clock tender, so we headed out to hike Magic Mountain.  A local person had told us about it and the hike started about 1 mile from where our tender dropped us off so we were excited to explore Moorea.  Needless to say, we started off excited and quickly started getting worn out.  Since I had convinced Joe to go on the hike even though he was not feeling 100%, I was the bag carrier.  Thank goodness we packed 4 water bottles.  The hike was the hardest hike both one of us had ever done and it was unbelievably hot and humid.  We are still glad that we did it because at the top we saw the most amazing views looking down on the bay.  The sky was clear and the water was crystal clear making the views breathtaking.  We started our trek back, little did we know we were going to be stopped by a grumpy old man.  Apparently the mountain belongs to him and he charges 2$ per person for those who want to hike it (or take RTVs up).  We had not brought any cash with us, and he spoke little English, so he locked his gate and stared at us.  We had no idea how to convey that we had no money, and it was a bit intimidating, but finally he opened the gate thinking we would walk a mile back to the tender, take the tender to the ship and back, and then return to give him 4$.  To say the least, we were exhausted and that was not happening!  Once we got back we laid on the ground in our room for a bit (we were super sweaty so we didn’t want to lay in bed) before heading to lunch.  
Panorama of the view from the hike!
Our Walk!
What a pretty view!
Amazing Water!
We made it!!!

At lunch I started feeling incredibly sick to my stomach so I left Joe and ended up getting sick right as I got to our room.  I instantly felt better so I thought I was good to go and we headed up to the pool to enjoy the remainder of the day.  We relaxed by the pool, but around 4 my head started hurting so we headed to our room to nap.  Thinking I was OK after the nap, we headed up for our dinner reservations at La Veranda after enjoying the sunset.  At dinner I started feeling terrible again so Joe finished dinner rather quick and we headed back to the room where I fell asleep instantly.  Joe had to pack all of our stuff on his own (I am so grateful) as I got 12 hours of sleep.  Looking back, we are pretty sure I had a nice case of heat exhaustion because it really was incredibly hot on the hike and a VERY steep hike!  Either way, we are still glad we did it for the beautiful views!  Just be warned, it is not an easy hike so maybe take an RTV up if you want to enjoy the view!  Moorea was our favorite island and stop from the cruise.  It is absolutely the most beautiful island and the water is crystal clear.  Definitely recommended to anyone that is in French Polynesia, especially since it is a short boat ride away from Tahiti.
Last Sunset on the Cruise!


  1. Sorry that yall weren't feeling well for the last couple of days of your honeymoon! I've loved reading about your honeymoon. Did yall just stay on the boat during that time, or did yall stay in any resorts at the different islands? I've researched some about the French Polynesia islands but I was interested in your cruise.

    Love your blog!

    1. Amanda, thank you! We were both feeling a lot better for the last day so we didn't miss too much! We did not stay at a resort while we were on the boat because the food and everything was sooooo good on the ship! We had two days on the front end (one night) and then as you can see one more day and night on the back end where we stayed at two different resorts. On the front end we stayed at the Hilton Moorea and we loved it but it is a bit more remote and quiet. We loved that for the two days but then we needed some more action which was nice because then we got on the ship! On the back end of the trip we stayed at the Intercontinental in Tahiti and it was beautiful and much larger than the Hilton but not nearly as quiet (and a lot more kids!). I would definitely recommend the cruise if you want to see a lot of the area and have a lot of activities that you can do. If you are looking to simply relax and lay on the beach then you may want to do one of the resorts for longer!