Tuscan Tortellini Soup
- 1 ½ lbs. Italian chicken sausage
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (28 ounce) cans crushed tomatoes
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4-6 cups kale, roughly chopped
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 box package of cheese tortellini
- 1 cup + more for topping parmesan or asiago cheese, grated
- Salt & white pepper to taste
In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and Italian chicken sausage. Once completely cooked, drain and set aside. Then in the same pot, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil, add onions and garlic and cook until tender. Once onions and garlic are caramelized, add crushed tomatoes, chicken stock, browned ground sausage & kale.
Bring to a boil- stirring frequently, add pepper and salt to taste. Continue to boil 5-10 minutes to allow flavors to merge. Add cheese tortellini and cook until al dente (read package for time). Add milk and parmesan cheese. Simmer for a few more minutes.
Remove from heat & serve.