Monday, May 13, 2013

A week at home means a week of home cooked meals!

So a while back Joe and I started planning our meals together every week.  Since I Pinterest a lot, we always had a couple of meals every week where we tried a completely new recipe and quite frankly all of them have been AMAZING!  Since I eat out all the time when I am traveling, we tend to keep things very healthy when it comes to eating at home.  I had wanted to make this recipe for a long time, but I knew Joe wasn't a fan of wild rice.  Today I didn't have time to run to the grocery store and conveniently had all of the ingredients in the fridge, so I finally got to make the meal!  This recipe was taken from Better Homes and Gardens and it turned out wonderfully!  I left out the bacon because I didn't have any and it kept the recipe healthier but I'm sure it would be just as great with it so I kept it in the recipe for everyone else! I already ate one piece before I remembered to take a picture and it was super tasty :)

Artichoke-Chicken Casserole


Artichoke-Chicken Casserole 

Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup  chopped carrot (1 medium)
  • 1/2 cup  chopped red sweet pepper (1 small)
  • 1/4 cup  sliced green onion (2)
  • 1 tablespoon  butter or margarine
  • 1 10 3/4ounce can condensed cream of chicken soup
  • 8-9 oz. canned artichoke
  • 1 1/2 cups  chopped cooked turkey or chicken (see tips)
  • 1 cup  cooked long grain rice or wild rice
  • 1/2 cup  shredded mozzarella cheese (2 ounces)
  • 1/2 teaspoon  dried thyme, crushed
  • 2 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and crumbled
  • 3 tablespoons  grated Parmesan cheese
1. In a large skillet cook carrot, sweet pepper, and green onion in hot butter over medium heat until carrot is crisp-tender. Remove from heat. Stir in soup, artichoke hearts, turkey, rice, mozzarella cheese, milk, thyme, and bacon. Transfer turkey mixture to a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
2. Bake, covered, in a 350 degrees degree oven for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake about 20 minutes more or until bubbly. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving. Makes 6 servings.  Each serving is about 250 calories with the bacon in it!

Hope you enjoy as much as we did :)  Now we are off to play tennis for the first time since I fractured my ankle.  I will be wearing a brace and taking it very easy but it's so nice out I couldn't pass up an opportunity!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment