Monday, July 1, 2013

The Ups and Downs of House Hunting and Moving...

It always seems like the weekend goes way too quick no matter what is on the agenda.  This weekend was one of those weekends where we didn't have much planned but were incredibly busy.

Friday night started as a normal low key night.  Dinner was cooked, and it was a meal that I had made before but Joe loved.  

Chicken with Sun Dried Tomato-Basil Sauce

6 boneless, skinless chicken tenders, thawed
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Fresh ground pepper, to taste
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup onions, chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 shallot, minced
1/4 cup sun dried tomatoes, chopped (in package, NOT oil packed)
1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
1 1/2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-high heat.  Add chicken & grind fresh pepper on each side. Cover & cook until done, about 5 minutes on each side. Remove from heat and set aside, keeping covered.
In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, & shallots, cooking 1-2 minutes, just until soft.  Add sun dried tomatoes; stir. With a whisk in hand,  add flour & stir.  Slowly pour in chicken broth, whisking constantly to remove any lumps.  Add cream, still whisking.   Continue whisking for 3-4 minutes or until sauce begins to thicken.  Take off heat and let sit; it will continue to thicken, feel free to stir every so often

After dinner was when the fun began. Joe and I had gone to see a town house that we absolutely fell in love with and it was in the perfect location in Buckhead.  It even had a rooftop.  We offered on the house on Thursday night, and as of early evening Friday, nobody else had offered on it.  A couple hours later, we receive an email saying that the buyer went with a different offer.  Since we had nothing to lose, we set in a full price offer.  After a couple questions from the agent, and sending a approval letter, we started thinking that we were actually going to get the townhouse!  Little did we know, a little after 10 PM we receive an email that we had lost out.  We had our hears set on this place, so it was a hard thing to accept for both of us.  After a lot of ups and downs in the evening, we called it an early night.

Isn't it beautiful...
Dinner :)
Saturday was moving day.  After Joe and I got engaged, we decided that financially, it made sense for me to move in with him and his roommates since they were living in a house.  I had to cancel my lease with 60 day notice, so my lease ended July 1.  With that, I think moving day came very quickly, and Saturday was the day we had rented the truck.  Luckily, I had started moving a lot of the smaller stuff, i.e. clothes, food, kitchen appliances, etc. the past two weeks so all that was really left was big furniture.  I got up early and cleaned the whole place, and Andy (one of Joe's friends) was kind enough to offer to help Joe move my furniture into the truck and move it!  It didn't take long, but I am grateful that Andy was there because even with the limited stuff that I moved, I was sore the next day.  We finished up right around lunch time so we ate lunch than took a nap to recoup from the day.  After that we headed downtown for some yummy BBQ at slopes then visited Reza because he clearly needed a study break. He was studying all weekend for his first big test at PA school!  After his study break was over we headed to Andy's house to hang out and have a low key evening.  We have to mentally prepare for the 4th of July and Welfare so we decided it was a better idea to go low key this weekend since we are getting old :)

Moving Day!
The best part about this weekend came as quite a surprise.  There has been a lot of AC issues in the house that Joe lives in, and we quickly realized that the upstairs unit was not working again, and it was 89 degrees inside!  Since we had just moved in all my stuff, we brought my mattress into the living room and had a slumber party downstairs in order to stay cool :)  Roxie loved it because it was right next to her food, so she could get a midnight snack if she woke up hungry, and of course woke both Joe and I up!

Bathing suits that have gone bad from lack of use:(

Sunday was cleaning day!!!  My stuff was everywhere from moving, and we have a lot of doubles when it came to furniture, washer and dryer, etc.  So, Joe posted some stuff on craigslist to sell (we made some money!!!)  and we decided it was time to take a close look at our closets and do some donating.  It was fun going through some of the stuff because it brought back great memories and we ended up donating 3 HUGE trash bags worth of clothes!  We also got a bit more organized and my office was set up so that I could get to work on Monday!  After a day full of cleaning, we went to Joe's house for dinner.  After dinner was work time for Joe and I got a 10K walk in (I still can't run :() to wrap up the weekend.  Now, 3 days until the 4th of July and 4 days until I get to see my beautiful bridesmaids in Greenville!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment